SPECIAL EVENT - The New Battleground: Veterans
Defense One is teaming up with the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America for a special event on July 30 on the future of veterans. By Kevin Baron
Letter from the Editor:
It has been one year since we launched Defense One, Atlantic Media’s newest brand providing daily news, analysis and bold ideas on the future of national security. What does the future hold for so many of those who already have served in uniform is a lifetime as an American veteran – and all the blessings and complications that come with that honor? We’re excited to team up with Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, the nation’s largest organization serving veterans of those wars, to discuss today’s issues challenging the nation’s newest “Greatest Generation.”
A special event we’re calling “The New Battleground: Veterans” will feature top leaders and experts on the most urgent issues facing veterans today, including reforming the embattled Department of Veterans Affairs, combating suicide, bridging the gap between the military and the public, and the struggle to serve in the civilian workforce once out of uniform.
The event will be held on July 30 at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.
We are honored to have Montel Williams, former host of the award-winning talk show The Montel Williams Show, a veterans advocate who served in the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Navy.
Also, award-winning journalist and CEO of Starfish Media Group Soledad O’Brien will premiere her new documentary, “The War Comes Home,” which follows the journeys of two young men who return home and the personal battles they must face to recover from the emotional effects of war. After the film, O’Brien and three veterans featured in the film, Jake Clark, Garrett Combs and Delon Beckett, will participate in a discussion moderated by Defense One‘s Stephanie Gaskell.
Confirmed panelists include:
- Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs;
- Former Rep. Patrick Murphy, Iraq veteran, MSNBC host of “Taking the Hill;”
- Sen. John Walsh, D-Mont., former adjutant general of the Montana National Guard, Iraq veteran;
- Rep. Brad Wenstrup, R-Ohio, Iraq veteran;
- Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, Iraq veteran;
- Dr. William Nash, psychiatrist, Defense Department and Department of Veterans Affairs;
- Zach Iscol, CEO of HirePurpose, Iraq veteran;
- Fred Wellman, CEO of ScoutComms, Inc.;
- Paul Rieckhoff, founder and CEO, IAVA;
- Mike Monroe, Team Rubicon;
- Mike Haynie, executive director of the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University;
- Alex Horton, writer, former digital engagement official at the VA;
- Phillip Carter, Senior Fellow, Counsel and Director of the Military, Veterans, and Society Program at the Center for a New American Security;
- Tom Tarantino, chief policy officer, IAVA;
- Mark Testoni, President, NS2 Serves; President and Chief Executive, SAP National Security Services;
- Joseph Kernan, Vice Admiral, U.S. Navy, Ret.; Chairman, NS2 Serves; Vice President, Business Development, SAP National Security Services;
- Barbara Humpton, Senior Vice President of Business Development for Siemens Government Technologies;
The event’s moderators include Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist David Wood, senior military correspondent, The Huffington Post, Leo Shane, congressional reporter, Military Times, Stephanie Gaskell, deputy editor, Defense One; and Molly O’Toole, politics reporter, Defense One.
We will be live-streaming this event as well.
Please join us on July 30 for a compelling discussion on the important issues facing veterans in the United States today.
To register to attend, please visit http://www.cvent.com/events/the-new-battleground-veterans-care/event-summary-173cbacf70634c4dbbee710de8ad9f05.aspx.