In this episode, recorded on Thursday, June 7, 2018:
- Ploughshares Fund’s Joe Cirincione joins us to talk about nuclear expectations and grand strategy out of Tuesday’s Trump-Kim summit in Singapore;
- We talk about what ISIS is believed to be up to in the Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago.
- We’re off to Capitol Hill to talk with Rep. Rob Wittman, R-Va., who chairs the House’s Seapower and Projection Forces subcommittee. He tells us about his view of the Navy’s future — and his thoughts on the upcoming film, “Top Gun 2” (23:26).
- We talk about the “War of Annihilation,” Amnesty International’s latest report on civilian casualties in the U.S.-led operation to drive ISIS out of Raqqa, Syria. We’ll also hear the coalition’s unhappy response to that report (46:03).
- Finally, we remember some borderline-lunatic heroism from the beaches and battlefields of D-Day, 74 years ago this week, with Army veteran Joseph Kassabian (57:00).
Today’s roundtable participants include:
- Joe Cirincione, president of Ploughshares Fund;
- Kevin Baron, Defense One executive editor;
- Bradley Peniston, Defense One deputy editor;
- Caroline Houck, Defense One staff correspondent;
- And Ben Watson, Defense One news editor.